12.08.17 | Education
How to Secure Your Decorations This Holiday Season
The holidays are a great time of year and provide you with the opportunity to decorate your home for the season. Many homeowners spend a good amount of money on holiday decorations, so it would be a shame not to secure them properly. Whether it be thieves or strong winds that attempt to steal your lawn display or Christmas lights, you’ll want to implement these tips to make sure they are secure.
- Purchase heavier decorations that are more difficult to move quickly
- Attach your decorations to the ground using a rebar or metal stake attached by a sturdy rope or chain
- Use a bit of fast-set concrete to fasten down the decorations
- Secure the decorations to larger, heavy pieces of wood
- Use motion-activated security lights to deter would-be thieves
- Have a fence installed around your lawn
- Use small GPS tracking devices on your expensive lawn decorations to track them down if needed
- Install outdoor security cameras with night-vision capability
- Place your more expensive decorations on the roof
The wind can also knock over your decorations or send them sailing away. Stakes are a great way to keep flat decorations in place. For hollow décor, try weighing them down from the inside. Inflatable decorations are best secured by being tethered down.
Whether you prefer an elaborate and expensive holiday display or something a bit more toned down, you’ll be best served by taking a little extra time, effort, and money to properly secure your decorations this year. Once you have a system in place, you can reuse it year after year like you do with the decorations themselves.
Storm Smart can help you secure your home’s windows and doors for the devastating hurricanes we often face in Southwest Florida. Give us a call today at 239-274-2700 for more information.